Strony

Sunday, August 16, 2015

What I'm Eating - Cotton Candy & Crickets?!

I'm a foodie always looking for the next best thing in snacks, sips and more. This week, I came across two crazy snacks that I just HAD to try.


//Cotton Candy Grapes

First, let me introduce you to the tastebud wonder that is Cotton Candy Grapes from the Grapery. I stumbled upon this while exploring Fresh Market for some groceries. The label itself claims that the little fruits taste like cotton candy, which I, in possession of a strong sweet tooth, found impossible to believe. I decided to try them for myself. 

What I can say is they DO taste like cotton candy, mostly. The first grape you pop into your mouth surprises you the the sweet taste of that lovely fairy floss. The peel and the fruit, as you chew them more, do start to taste more grape-like, but the original taste is there. As you eat a handful you begin to get used to the flavor, but overall it is fairly convincing.

The fruit is non-gmo and organic, but grown, cultivated, and studied in such a way that it develops this taste. I'm sure over years this flavor-bending trend will find its way to other produce, attracting buyers to have fun and eat healthily.



//Chapul Cricket Bars

Maybe you vaguely remember seeing something about cricket protein bars and powders on an episode of the Shark Tank. I definitely recall hearing about this, and while I was curious at the time, I had no idea where to get some. My family will attest that I'll try any food once, and that I'm pretty meat averse. As such, this sounded like an ideal item to try.

My dad picked up a few bars at Sprouts and I knew now was as good a time as any. I'm definitely afraid of bugs, and was nervous about eating this, even though it's made from cricket flour. I made my dad try it with me and we both came away satisfied from the first bite. This flavor shown above is spicy and bitter, with cocoa, coffee, and cayenne. It tasted like a gourmet chocolate bar with high cocoa content. 

After trying it, I'm definitely curious to taste more cricket-based products in the future. My only question is, are crickets a vegetarian protein?

No comments :

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2014 Avec Adrienne

Distributed By Blogger Templates | Designed By Darmowe dodatki na blogi